It is well known that Austin is the Live Music Capital of the World. As locals, we can capitalize on that by enjoying all kinds of free concerts, plays and movies at venues across town. These fun warm-weather events start as early as March and go all summer long, featuring everything from well-known bands and theater companies, as well as small local groups.
The KGSR music programs are always free and always well attended, so get there early. The same goes for the plays (this year they will be The Taming of the Shrew and Hairspray), get there early. I have been attending all of these events for years and I have never been disappointed. This is the good stuff, year after year, provided free to our community.
In addition to these four biggies, there are numerous other music, movie and theatre options out there. They range from classical music and ballet to country music and movie sing-a-longs. Most area suburbs have music and movie programs, all are family friendly and free.
Blues on the Green – Check the KGSR website for dates and lineup
Unplugged at the Grove – Check the KGSR website for dates and lineup
Zilker Hillside Theater – Shows typically start at dusk
- Ballet Under the Stars – May 29 and May 30
- Austin Shakespeare in the Park – The Taming of the Shrew April 30 – May 4
- Zilker Theater Productions – Hairspray July 9 – August 16
- Concerts in the Park – the Austin Symphony Orchestra FREE at Hartman Park Sunday evenings
Elsewhere Around Town
- Pflugerville Music in the Park – Pfluger Park every other Friday from June to September
- Round Rock Music on Main Street – Wednesday evenings from March to May
- Cedar Park Concerts in the Park – Elizabeth Milburn Park May 1 and October 2
- Penfold Theater –The Hound of the Baskervilles at the Round Rock Amphitheater June 4-27
- Steiner Ranch Movies in the Park – Selected Saturdays